Home
Consulting, Designing
Geological investigation
Topographical, Hydrological survey
 
 
 
News FTP Server Webmail Addr. list Member
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

News 20

Large Container Port Constructed in HCMC
By www.saigon-gpdaily.com.vn, Jun 08,2006

The foundation stone for the US$250 million Sai Gon Premier Container Terminal (SPCT) was laid on June 7 in Nha Be District, Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC).

The ground-breaking ceremony honorably witnessed the attendance of Prince Andrew Albert Christian Edward, Duke of York of the United Kingdom and Deputy Chairman of HCM City People’s Committee Nguyen Van Dua.
 
Situated along the western shore of Soai Rap River at Hiep Phuoc Industrial Park, some 10 kilometers by road from downtown Ho Chi Minh City, the container port will involve the development of 950-meter quay line and 40 hectares of adjoining container yard.

Prince Andrew (R, third) breaks the ground for Sai Gon Premier Container Terminal in Nha Be District.

It is a joint venture between Tan Thuan Industrial Promotion Company (IPC) and the British company P&O Ports (P&O), one of the biggest container port developing and operating companies in the world with 27 container ports in 16 countries. 
 
P&O owns 80% of SPCT, to which IPC (holding the remaining 20%) will grant 43-year concession rights. IPC is the investor of the Hiep Phuoc Industrial Park.
 
SPCT will be developed as a world-class container terminal facility incorporating state-of-the-art technologies, the latest equipment and comprehensive training for the Vietnamese workforce.
 
When completed, the terminal will have an annual capacity of over 1.5 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units).
 
The container terminal will be developed in phases in line with demand growth. The first two of four berths are scheduled to begin operation in 2008.
 
The port will make a great contribution to the economic development, preventing traffic block in the city and play a role as “pre-port” of the city as well as the Mekong Delta.
 
Addressing the ceremony, the Duke of York said the port is an important link between the United Kingdom and Viet Nam. In the future, there will be more Britain’s industrial and financial projects in Viet Nam.
 
Mr. Dua highly appreciated the cooperation between the UK and HCMC through the project.
 
The terminal, which conforms to the Government’s master plan for development of the port network in Viet Nam, will help boost economic development in the Southern Key Economic Region

By Ng.Kh. – Translated by Yen Chuong

 
 

Copyright © 2004 Portcoast Corp. All rights reserved